You probably have a friend or two who own a timeshare and love it.
Then, when you look on the internet and ask if timeshares are a good idea, you find intense hatred toward timeshares.
So why do people not like timeshares?
There are a number of reasons why people do not like timeshares including:
- A reputation of shady practices by salespeople
- Maintenance fees that rise every year by as much as 4%
- Even after a timeshare is paid off, maintenance fees still must be paid and can be expensive
- Interest rates are very high because traditional lenders don’t normally finance timeshares
- Timeshare owners are locked into a specific time of the year to vacation
- You have to take your vacation in the same location every year
- If a timeshare was purchased in a less than desirable location, it can be hard to swap weeks for a more in demand location
- Timeshares are difficult to sell
- The value of a timeshare decreases the longer you own it
- When you stay, you might not get the exact same unit every time. You’ll get the same category or class but not necessarily the exact same room number
- If you don’t plan to use it every year, you could wind up wasting money
As you can see, people have legitimate reasons to dislike timeshares.
Does That Mean a Timeshare Is Bad for “You”?
This does beg the question: Are all timeshares bad?
You will likely be surprised by my answer.
For some people, a timeshare might actually be a good idea.
How is that?
You know the old expression, “One man’s trash is another man’s treasure?”
How does this apply to timeshares?
Let’s take the item “Timeshare owners are locked into a specific time of the year to vacation”.
If you have a job that requires you to provide your vacation dates at the beginning of the year, a timeshare actually might work for you.
You know the exact dates every year you’ll need to tell your employer because your dates to visit your timeshare a fixed.
Let’s look at another one of those items. “You have to vacation in the same location every year”.
For those that want variety, this can be a negative.
However, you might have valid reasons to want the same location every year.
Perhaps your timeshare is near family that is on the other side of the country. Having a timeshare that is in the same location might be ideal to visit them.
Another reason to have a timeshare in the same place every year is if you want to see or experience something only available in the vicinity of the timeshare.
As you can see, there are good reasons why people don’t like timeshares.
However, just because a vocal group disparages timeshares doesn’t mean that it won’t fit your personal circumstances.
Take Over Someone Elses Timeshare
If you think a timeshare would fit your lifestyle, don’t get one at the timeshare presentation!
Remember what we said back in the beginning of this article. Timeshare salespeople engage in some shady practices.
But there’s a better way.
You want a timeshare. Someone else has a timeshare but isn’t using it.
They would LOVE to have someone take over the timeshare. That someone could be you.
Timeshare Specialists – as their name suggests – specializes in matching up people who want a timeshare with those who need to get out of theirs.
Timeshare Specialists has a A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and an Excellent rating on Trustpilot.
So there’s the reassurance that you aren’t getting scammed.
Just provide your contact information and you’ll be on your way to getting the timeshare you need in the area you want!